Today the Jaguars GM said the team had no interest in Tim Tebow. I won’t go into the sports analysis of that. Rather, I’d like to focus on the very important life (not just sports) lessons this teaches us all:
- Looks are everything. Your work ethic and results mean nothing. If, for whatever arbitrary reason, decision makers think you don’t look good enough, you’re finished.
- Someone who “looks the part” will always be chosen over you even if they have nothing to show for it.
- Don’t waste time being above the influence or even trying to make yourself a better person. No one cares about that.
- Caring about others is a guaranteed way to wind up on the trash heap.
- You can always be replaced in any situation/position at a moment’s notice.
- Having any kind of trust or faith in people is a fool’s game.
- Most people are shallow and can’t see intangibles. The faster your realize this and how useless the latter make you, the better off you’ll be.
Please remember to share these salient points with your kids growing up so they know what to expect out there. Of course, there are many of us out there who’ve noticed the above over the years, but seeing it played out on a very public stage at the highest level is something else entirely.