You’re not gonna believe this, because I sure couldn’t when it happened. But here goes: earlier tonight I discovered that I’m actually running 32-bit Office 2013 instead of 64-bit. Since I default to 64-bit where available, I was surprised at this and went back to my Office 2013 purchase email to check out the installer provided therein. I figured I must have missed a 64-bit option in there somewhere.
So I downloaded the installer I’d previously used and launched it. “Setting things up,” it said. I’m out of town and on a slower connection, so I decided to kill the installer via Task Manager. It was then I discovered that ALL of my Office application links were gone. Vanished. Completely.
I have never.
encountered an installer that blew away an existing corresponding installation solely via launching. No dialog, no option, no nothing. Words fail to express how horrific this UX is.