Every guide I’ve seen on how to do this talks about inspecting elements or installing add-ons or apps. None of that is necessary. Here’s how you do it:
- Open the image or video’s specific Instagram page (e.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOpZDePDQ2b/) in Firefox.
- Right-click on the background.
- Click Page Info.
- In the window that pops up, click the Media tab.
- Sort the results by Type.
- The pic you want will be one of the Image entries in type, while the video you want will be the Video entry. An example is shown below:
- Select which one you want.
- Click Save As…
And that’ll do it. You’ll get the original .jpg upload or an .mp4 video. This method of downloading videos also works for Clippit.tv, with the exception that you might have to play the video first to allow Firefox to sniff it before clicking Page Info.